Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1598070 - 01/12/19 06:45 AM Problem on HD or what?
kibret Offline
Planeteer

Hi everyone I'm using my vs 2480HD for a long time but never encountered this kind of problem. I usually swap hard disks and even back up projects on pc using Ez connect...I created 11 new projects on the vs and copied other backed up songs on every created prj. Then put it back the hd in the vs. This is the usual routine that I do every time. Then I got one new blank projects on every partition. The IDEs show that there are datas but no playlist. I backed up all the songs in the partitions and formated(quick)... created new 11 projects and copied the backed up songs...still the same. what is going on? I put another hd that has songs and thats fine...so I thought it might be the hd and did the same process on the other one; but the same. please help. Bear in mind that I do have many songlists that I saved in my pc for this kind of problems .
#1598186 - 01/13/19 05:57 PM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: kibret]
kibret Offline
Planeteer

PLease reply guys!?
#1598199 - 01/13/19 07:44 PM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: kibret]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Sorry - but I don't quite understand what you've done here.
It sounds like you're telling us that your usual process is to remove your hd from the vs - containing songs/projects - and connect it to your pc in order to copy things to the pc and store them there.
Here's the first place I lose you -
what exactly have you been storing on the pc and what tools are you using to store?
Are you copying vs projects directly and completely onto the pc? If so, how are you doing this? what tools are you using to copy vs projects to a pc?

Secondly - you say you "usually" do this - are you also "usually" able to recover these projects from the pc back onto the vs by copying the projects back to a hd and reinserting it into the vs? And this process has always worked for you in the past?

I need to understand this part, before I can even venture into the part where you've run into problems, creating 11 new projects, etc., etc. And I have no idea how you're using Ez connect in all of this - could you spend some time detailing your use of Ez connect in all of this? Is this current problem connected in any way to your use of Ez connect? If it is not, then save the Ez connect discussion for later, or even supply us with details of its use in a whole separate thread, so as not to confuse this topic any more than I might have just doe so.

I hope we can help, but at least for me, your issue is not clearly defined - or rather the processes involved that have led to the issue is not clear enough for me to be of any help.

#1598254 - 01/14/19 06:13 AM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: uptildawn]
kibret Offline
Planeteer

1. Thank you for your reply.
2. Yes I store the songs on pc directly using Ez connect or connect the hd in the IDE connector of the pc open the partion that you want...you will get folders of songs and 14 icons like songlist, event...etc then copy the whole folder of a project as it is. And if I want to recover that song, I will create a song(empty)in the vs and again connect the hd to a pc, delete those 22 files(song,event....etc) and copy the content of the stored datas in that empty folder. That's it. Of course as you put the hd back in the vs, the song's name would be 'initial song 001' or a name u have given on the creation of the song; so when you store the song the title will appear. Please try to verify. I've used this for more than 10 years or so. Is this clear now sir? SO in my case,if the songlist is being corrupted on that very partition why did it happen on all 3 partitions? Thanks again.

#1598260 - 01/14/19 07:22 AM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: kibret]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Okay! I understand the process you have been using. I remember it being discussed many times here on the planet. I have not ever done file transfers in this way, however. Partly because I have never liked moving my internal drive back and forth like that. I didn't have the need for a more quiet hd, either, so after a few tests, using SDHC and CF cards, I went back to mostly using an external hd on the scsi port. This method also avoids a lot of the issues people were having, where they would return the hd from the pc back to the VS and have to reinitialize it - as though there were nothing on it anymore.

This sounds like what you are experiencing - is that correct?
If so, I find it awfully strange that it should only just now begin happening in your case - after you have successfully used your method so often in the past.

Could it be that you have changed anything at all in the hardware and/or software you use on the pc, since the last time this worked correctly? Have you changed the operating system, or done any changes with windows updates that could possibly have had an affect on your process - and it may even seem unrelated on the surface...

Are you using any sort of mod in the VS to have allowed you to perform this swap of hard drives - I assume so, even if it was many years ago.

Is it possible that the adapter card, or something in the mod, may have gone bad and you aren't aware of what that might be? - assuming that you did some sort of mod...

I'm really sorry to not have any solution, or even much of a suggestion on what to look for - other than to consider all I have asked and see if maybe something clicks for you to investigate. I also do not use the 2480 - I use the 1680 and 880, so the hard drive operation and other functions are very different in many respects that keep me from being able to even test things to reproduce your issue. But I remember that many people have had this problem - Hopefully now that there is a more clear description of your issue, somebody will have additional suggestions and information for you.

I do hope you find a resolution to this problem, which must be very frustrating for you. An alternative method using an external unit on the scsi port might be something for you to consider for the future. At the very least, it would give you another option.

In fact, this may be a prime opportunity for you to look into VirDIS - there's a VirDIS forum here in which the developer participates, which can be very helpful for you to discover what all it offers a 2480 user - the most potential of the program is with the 2480, by the way. It's in continual development and the developer, Bill Casey, is helpful and responsive to requests for information and assistance using the program.

Edited by uptildawn (01/14/19 07:24 AM)

#1598261 - 01/14/19 12:03 PM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: uptildawn]
kibret Offline
Planeteer

THanks again sir I haven't changed anything os, software or hardware. This just happened in a few minutes time. I had to bring someone's files from the pc and I did that as usual, we were talking about other files and needed to bring 2 more song files so I did then when I opened it back in the vs this mistry just occurred. I was also trying to locate the error today but...I processed the check drive...etc but as the end on 'recover drive' it brings 'operation failed'. Maybe I will try other options, and if I come with a solution I will let you know. Sorry I live in Addis Abeba(Ethiopia) and don't have the VirDIS right now. Thank you so much for your help.
#1600149 - 01/29/19 06:46 AM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: kibret]
kibret Offline
Planeteer

It was a virus in the pc that hides the songlist and just displayes one project. Now its solved thanks friends .
#1600158 - 01/29/19 02:12 PM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: kibret]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I'm so glad you got the problem figured out and solved.

#1603413 - 02/26/19 03:29 PM Re: Problem on HD or what? [Re: uptildawn]
Racleborg3 Offline
Space Cadet

Hi Kibret
Out of interest, isn't Windows restricted to only seeing 4 partitions at any one time? If so, how do you get around that? Thanks

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159851 Topics
1850597 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.031 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.