Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1605519 - 03/14/19 07:23 PM Effects routing and assignment... help
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Seattle, Wa
I've owned and used my VS 880ex since 1999, but I have never had need to go through all the steps to assign Send and Return effects. I've tried everything in the book and books... Would anyone consider a phone call to guide me through this. I have a fully mixed instrumental song waiting for vocals. I would really appreciate it.
#1605748 - 03/16/19 10:43 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

So, !!! I see a few people have looked at this, thanks for that. I really have tried all the steps in the manual and to tell the truth I never really grasped all routing info... effects return mixer, master block, track mixer, etc... I can insert effects so the track is "wet" then its ready for final mix down no problem. But the send/return effects I use so much has always been an issue. If you have an issue with privacy maybe we could set up a time to instant message the procedure while I am at the VS. Thanks to everyone for considering!
#1605787 - 03/17/19 09:36 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Loc: Riding Indiana Waves of Audio
I haven't used my machine in years - but I think if you insert the desired effect pre-fader - (on the channel(s) desired) - it will be added to that channel during mix down recording - and not just during playback.

I'm not sure - but try that.

Hopefully uptildawn will chime in here...

He should know, or have a good idea, of what you need to do.

Edited by mrsinical (03/17/19 01:06 PM)

#1605796 - 03/17/19 02:51 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I never acquired that deep of a feel for the 880 series, really. I could never understand the routing, with that tiny display and the poorly written manual as my only guides. And I never used external effects as aux feeds on any of my Rolands, ever. It's always been internal effects, or nothing.

#1605820 - 03/17/19 05:16 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: uptildawn]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

So, the thinking is that to produce a "wet" track using send/return I just need to choose prefade and that will stamp the track with the chosen effect. Then when I playback the track with effect turned off it will still be there. Hoping for the best here... and thanks for chiming in. Any other thoughts will be appreciated. I'll update you...
#1605822 - 03/17/19 05:22 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I think that's how it works.

Let me know...

#1605895 - 03/18/19 12:07 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: mrsinical]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

Well, I tried and tried... went back to the dreaded manual... it worked once, but then I tried to recreate it and couldn't. I'm beyond frustrated. I am glad to know its not just me who doesn't get the manual mumbo jumbo. I mean really what a jig saw puzzle. 16 steps to route the effect??? OK rant is over... Could somebody forward this or something to to a know it all. All I need is a step by step... Applying and effect while recording SEND/RETURN... Again thanks to all who have read and helped out.
#1605915 - 03/18/19 09:16 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Make sure the MASTER / Fader Edit is in MIXER (Green light) MODE. (I do ALL of the below with the MASTER in the GREEN MIXER mode.)

Press the SELECT / CH Edit button for the channel you want the effect to be applied to.

Scroll with the < > parameter buttons and select which effect you want (Effect 1 - or Effect 2)

When you have the proper effect (it should say "OFF") - then turn the dial to to the right and select the first option INSERT (Not L or R or S).

Now - that effect is applied to that channel.

IMPORTANT NOTE-
When the Channel STATUS button for that channel is GREEN =
- the effect will not be heard if you speak into the mic or play an instrument = the input is NOT getting the effect added.

When the Channel STATUS button for that channel is YELLOW =
you can hear the effect.
(Use this "YELLOW" setting on that channel if you want to sing / play along with other channels playing back - with the effect added to the current "input sound" but you don't want to record = (IE = you can Practice the vocal / guitar etc. - with the effect added - to adjust levels / EQ / etc. / before actually recording.

When the Channel STATUS button for that channel is RED =
You are ready to record the channel with the effect added - and the effect should have been added on the recorded playback.
IMPORTANT NOTE - when you are finished recording and have "stopped" the machine- put the STATUS for that channel BACK to GREEN for playback.
If you don't like the recording - you can undo it (or record over it) - BUT you must put the STATUS button back to RED to re-record.

NOTE-
The effect insert will automatically start at 100 value send - and 100 value return.

You can "tweak" the effect itself in the effect menu - or you can "tweak" the value of how it is applied to the channel - but that's another round of instructions.......

This is the basics of how I use the effects on mine.

Edited by mrsinical (03/18/19 04:35 PM)

#1605972 - 03/18/19 07:40 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: mrsinical]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks... I have a few things to tend to first, but then... I'll be digging into this. By the way I went to your site and pretty impressed with the wide range of offerings and your music. Nice work... your passion is inspiring and appreciated. What are recording with nowadays?
#1606021 - 03/19/19 09:18 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Thanx!

I haven't done much recording lately - personal or pro...

I usually (still...) use my 880EX.

Edited by mrsinical (03/19/19 05:20 PM)

#1606760 - 03/25/19 06:28 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: mrsinical]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

I didn't have any luck with this... the confusion is with send/receive or inserting. I am dealing with reverb and delays...anything in the lower A Bank of effects A00 through A30 which are all send/receive. I had some luck bouncing while adding effects because the example written out in the "Quick Start Manual" uses FX1 A00 RV : Large Hall, which is a send/receive effect. Now, there is also a chapter: Applying effects while recording... but its example uses a Rock Lead which is a insert.
I do appreciate your taking the time... no one else has taken an interest. Is there anyway to directly contact anyone? You a mentioned Uptilldawn, if I could contact them... ?

#1606762 - 03/25/19 07:31 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I doubt that it's a matter of showing or taking no interest - it's maybe a matter of not knowing precisely what you're after, or maybe having not done this sort of thing in a long while - many reasons behind why there are no responses at any particular time....

For my part, I was the second one to respond and I explained why I have nothing to offer. I never liked the tiny display and used the machine at a time when I knew so little about the whole digital recorder mindset (if there was such a thing even back then) that I avoided learning much in depth.

Now it's been so long that I can barely remember how irritating it was to try to route things using that silly little display. At least the ex has a backlit display - Mine is unlit and barely readable in average lighting, let alone light that is too dark or too bright.... ugh!

So it's not that I'm not interested at all - in fact, I'm following your progress with interest and hope you get it all figured out to your satisfaction soon.

#1606768 - 03/25/19 09:18 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Ok.

I was wrong. The only way to "hard" record the effect to a track recording - is to track bounce. (I guess... - I fired up my 880 EX and have physically spent an hour messing with this issue... (and reading my manual... again... for the bazillenth time...) and can not get the effect to be on the recording without the effect being applied to the track during playback - unless I bounce the initial recorded track to another track - then the effect is a "hard copy"....)

(I have no idea of who might know more than I do if there is a way to hard copy effects as the signal / vocal goes into the machine???????...)

So... I don't know if you currently have any (one) open tracks on virtual V1 - to bounce to - after you record your vocal.

1. First - Do you have all 6 (or even 7 & 8 also) tracks used up - counting the track you are working with? (IE - do you have an open track on V1?)

2. Second - (depending on how many tracks on V1 you have used so far) are you going to make a master mix down within the machine?

It's not hard to bounce for a hard copy track - if you have an open track to use.

Here's how to bounce an effect added hard copy.

Master in GREEN

1. Apply the effect to the initial track and and adjust it to your liking - and record the vocal.

2. After recording - Put the above recorded track to STATUS = GREEN mode.

3. On another "open" track (in STATUS = GREEN mode) - press - and hold the green STATUS button down - then press the SELECT / Edit button for the track with the vocal on it. It will light up "steady" green.
(Now the empty track is set to have the effect track - recorded onto it as a hard copy with the effect added.)

4. Put the open track STATUS to RED - and record.

This will free up the original vocal track -
But remember - once you do this - you can not change the "effect" on the new vocal track. So get it to as close to what you want before recording over the initial vocal track.

My mistake was because I usually only use the 880 effects on the Bass guitar and Vocals. I record the instruments. Add compression from effect 2 to the bass. Then record a Vocal with reverb / etc. effect 1 - and mix them down onto stereo tracks 7&8 - with the effects in real time as 7&8 are the destination "hard copy" mix.

Edited by mrsinical (03/25/19 08:22 PM)

#1606867 - 03/25/19 08:07 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: mrsinical]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

Wow! Thanks alot... I will dig into this soon as I can....later today and get back with you.
#1606962 - 03/26/19 04:04 PM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: robertraven]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

BTW - I think the PstFade (Post Fade) setting works better than the INSERT setting.

When you press the SELECT / Edit button for the initial track -
(On whatever track you are recording the vocal on - I will use track 1 - and Effect 1 for the below example...

Scroll with the < > parameter buttons to - TR1 EFFECT1 -
Then turn the dial to PstFade (Post Fade)

Then record your vocal -

Then when you are satisfied of how it sounds with the effect added -

Then do the track bounce and the new track will be the hard copy vocal with effect added.
This free's up that Effect for an additional track recording / track application.

Edited by mrsinical (03/26/19 04:15 PM)

#1635716 - 11/15/19 07:36 AM Re: Effects routing and assignment... help [Re: uptildawn]
robertraven Offline
Space Cadet

Hello... I got so wrapped up in the responses back in March that I completely missed this one. My comment was generic in essence an I meant no real insult. Thanks for your insight as this is not the first time the Vs has met with this type of frustration. The machine is what it is and we learned from it...frustrations and all.
Kind regards,
Robert

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159851 Topics
1850604 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.035 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.