Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1632229 - 10/11/19 03:16 PM Transition from 1680 to 2480?
concubinefeeder Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I'm still perfectly happy with my VS-1680 after almost twenty years of near-constant use (the old beast just keeps on keeping on), but at this point my arrangement ideas have become ambitious enough that I sometimes need to create stereo sub-mixes for certain track groups in order to fit everything onto 16 tracks.

Part of me enjoys the challenge and says, "Don't mess with something that works...you know this machine pretty well at this point, it does what you need it to do, and if you can't say what you need to say in 16 tracks it probably isn't worth saying." Another part of me says, "An extra 8 tracks would make life a lot easier, and the extra hard drive space would be a big help." It's getting tempting to make the (very belated) upgrade, even if it would be a bit of a stretch right now budget-wise.

For those of you who have worked with both machines, would you say the transition from a 1680 to a 2480 is pretty seamless, and if you know the younger brother well it should be pretty easy to get up to speed on the 2480? Or am I better off sticking with what I've got if it's working for me? I've also read some comments here and there about low frequency information maybe not translating as well on the 2480 as it does on the earlier models. Not sure if there's any truth to that, or if it's a case of using the built-in preamps and having a bit of "mush" build up over time.

Any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Not being able to "try before you buy" always makes these decisions a little tricky for me.

#1632277 - 10/11/19 07:16 PM Re: Transition from 1680 to 2480? [Re: concubinefeeder]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
As with my first DAW -- before the VS 880 -- we used a sequencer and allowed us 16 more channels of production -- @ mixdown.
We have another 16 connected with our 2480, now ... The VIRDIS ( software /hardware) allows you unlimited space .. We now track/store on a external...

The major :big: step -- a VGA screen ~!!

Edited by C Jo Go (10/11/19 07:17 PM)

#1632588 - 10/14/19 04:46 PM Re: Transition from 1680 to 2480? [Re: C Jo Go]
March Offline
Planeteer

Loc: IA
Hi: I started like you did with the 1680 and got pretty fast and proficient with it. If memory serves (Jeeesus, this is already 20 years ago)the learning curve was pretty steep, but not unmanageable. The 2480 has some extra functions that have to be learned from scratch--some are updated, like Automation, for instance. Nothing you won't be able to handle, if you have time and inclination to experiment.

All in all, the advantage of having extra effects came in VERY handy. The extra tracks are also cool, even though, like you said, submixes would have taken care of the problem

Yeah, there was a digital distortion on earlier CD models. I guess that the later, DVD models took care of that. But even so, the distortion could have been made to go away even on the CD model by performing the "crank:--I used to do it during every recording session for years until it became second nature.

I say, gp for it. It'll take some time to get used to it, but it would be fun time well spent.

Projects saved on the 1680 are easily transferable on the 2480. Since the 1680 has less FX boards, the transfer will muddy up the settings: the panning may be off, or effects may appear to have been replaced with other effects. But that's nothing that you couldn't fix in a minute

Good luck! Let us know how it went

#1632867 - 10/17/19 09:02 AM Re: Transition from 1680 to 2480? [Re: concubinefeeder]
ricco Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Hi: Just to warn anyone reading this, I had no idea it was stupid long as it was until I finished. OMG!! You've been warned " : )

"ONCE UPON A TIME...I too started with the VS 1680, and while not " seamless", I certainly found the change to the 2480 familiar and comfortable; especially regarding "ROLAND SPEAK'.
Now, having said that, I must say that i HATED the telephone book size manuals. Flip here.Go back there. Go Forward here.
Some of the things I wanted understanding with eluded me, even after reading the manuals, along with FRANKS guide for NEWBIES, and anything else i could glean from the WEB.
THIS IS WHERE VS PLANET MEMBER FEEDBACK WAS INVALUABLE.

Also, and I want to MAKE CLEAR this is NOT A PLUG FOR MY CLASSIFIED AD,,,but for me, the PLANC DVD and manual set was invaluable, and was a Helluva' good way for me to clear up the operations I outright didn't understand.

Finally, if you are one of those folk like me, who wants to understand EVERY SINGLE operation on the 2480 fluently, then
my advice is to be working with the unit...a lot! Start with small, attainable goals, projects, and idea.
Don't be afraid of making mistakes...
I suggest you find CD's, CDRW's,DVD'S, that work for your unit. ROLAND CORP and VS PLANET members can point you to sites with recommended brands. FYI i used none of the recommendations cuz i couldn't find them up here.
Once you find the brand that works, buy LOTS OF THEM...cheap places are Value Village (CANADA) Sally Anne,Walfart, might offer a bulk buy cheap.
I say do this, so that when you screw-up discs, you won't get so agitated cuz they cost you next to nothing.
ALSO...get used to doing backups. Check your backups, just like the 1680.

I think you'll love the 2480. The effect versatility. The RBUS capability (I've got mine hooked to separate computer, for storage, and learning REAPER and sending data back n forth to VS 2480), I like the sequencer; don't use it much, but learning about it and incorporating it into songs is satisfying...

I especially love the ability of being able to use a large monitor....ten times better than squinting at a small display.

SO...YES...I did find the learning curve initially steep, ONLY BECAUSE I let it become overwhelming.
I wanted to learn it proficiently right now...Gawd knows why.
I want to point out, that there is ...at least i found, there is usually 2 or 3 and sometimes 4 ways to accomplish operations on the 2480. I DID mention the MANUALS Sucked, for me anyway. like everything, some things ok. The quickstart manual will get you going.

I did love my VS 1680. Bought it for $35 CND with no sound cards, but got both cards for $100 - $120 each CND in 2012. The 1680 would have been probably enough for me, but the small screen did me in. Late nights going cross-eyed bleary...lol...enjoying working with it...but couldn't go on. The dual function keys you thought you might get away from?? HA!!! Some of them you will, only to get hit with more sets of double key functions on the 2480 that can really throw a curve at you if you are tired, or not paying close attention.
I often need to remind myself when getting sorta' fed-up with slow or laggy things.
This unit was built as Flagship in 2004. SO...think of the computer you were using in 2004...what OS? How fast or glitchy was it for you?
I wish I could improve on the amount of space available to input information into the VS,...especially for track and scene descriptions and names. In fact, I could say that about most all drop boxes and their lack of input space; frustrating because ALMOST enough, BUT just not quite, even with abbreviations for everyword.
Then I'M down to a code book to decipher what the hell i said or intended to say 3 months ago when I was working on a particular song.

What everyone told me on VS PLANET was fairly solid advice; WORK WITH THE VS...put the time in...like you did with your 1680.

I asked a lot of people and can honestly say I have no regrets buying it. Now....here it comes...having said all these mostly nice and some bad things, I am finding I vacillate between selling the lot and moving on from ROLAND, or staying with it and putting up with the character flaws...mostly old-age-itis...or selling and re learning a new thing...like REAPER. I mean, it's lovely I am using both with my 2480, but my fears are centered around the age of the unit.
IF it packs it in...Its either a big hassle researching and rounding up parts...nevermind the labor I might not be capable of. OR, I accept the long boot-up times, the lag times moving between operations, especially song changes...things like that.

I must admit, a big part of the reason I hang onto my ROLAND, is not only have I finally spent enough time to be proficient enough to get around on it, but the membership of VS PLANET made all the difference between abandoning ROLAND VS series, or staying on.

Apologies again, as I don't intend to write mini-essays, but it always seems to turn out that way.
I don't know anything, or have ever heard anything, about 'low frequency information maybe not translating as well on the 2480'
so I'm of no help to you there. I can say that I had no trouble transfering my 1680 made backup discs into my 2480 machine.

Do I need a zillion inputs? Not really, but if I want to or get the chance to, i can record live band situations. So...added opportunity. The machine just feels more professional. Yeah..I LIKED to show off my moving faders to my bandmates...WOOHOO \:\)

I realize you are already proficient with your VS 1680, concubinefeeder; I hope you were tolerant of the fact I was also attempting to aim feedback at others that may not own any previous ROLAND VS products.
You got 20 years in already with ROLAND. They aren't paying you to stand by them, and I must admit to getting pissed-off with them at times for the way they built up the hype, came out with a pretty decent model line, made some improvements, and dropped it.
With limited support.
Ok ok,,,we could argue all night; better than some companies for sure, and worse than others with regards to the latter.

But, for where I am and what I do musically, I cannot ask for a better unit for me. Choice of keyboard OR mouse and usually for me...both. That's kinda; cool.

And who says you have to be whiz-proficient in every function of the 2480?

I spoke to one other member on the other side of the Canadian coast, who bought his VS 2480 brand-spanking new! The HD version I believe...anyway...he played in and engineered a whole album with his buddies...cover Art and all...(Sounds awesome, you can buy it, contact BmC on VS site).
I was asking him about the Phrase Pads and sequencing them and such, and to my surprise he said he rarely used them. I know it was possible to make great sounding CDs with the 1680, but the 2480 will give you more versatility and tools to use...if you want to or feel compelled to learn and incorporate them. Of course, as proven, you don't really need to. Similar as to who needs 384 tracks lolol??!! But u have them if you want them.

IF you like ROLAND, and it looks like you are loyal at least...then you can rest easy that you are buying into the FLAGSHIP of the technology for this machine. Please, try to buy the last edition, the DVD machine. Or, at least make sure the latest firmware installed. Yes, you can get the files and fiddle fart around and do it yourself. You might get it cheaper that way too...
Also, you get the provision to get 4 bays of VS8F-3 fx cards! That's a whole lot of processing power. I added two fully loaded vs8f-3 cards on my 2480, and left 2 as vs8f-2 cards.
I realize I might be inviting debate with this comment, but I personally like quite a few of the vs8f-2 effects. I find value and drawbacks on each series; the v2 and v3 fx cards. I suppose ease of use of the chain system on the vs8f 2 cards makes it a plus for me. I KNOW many of the patches are redundant, BUT late at night, or when I'm tired and still playing away, it's nice to have a reference patch, or a REVERB set strickly for HALL, or CONCERT HALL, or LIVING ROOM.
Sure, the VS8F-3 TCR 3000 REVERB is not only stereo, but I find it much more lush. I mean, with all 14 patches, I have multiple choices of just REVERBS. The ROLAND patches are damn good as well.
But the VS8F=3 hog processing power...be prepared to print effects if you don't own at least 2 cards.
I might buy another VS8F-3 blank card, and run with only one VS8F-2 card.
BY the by; anyone else notice the price of VS8F-2 cards are dropping? Good deals to be found. I just located a pair for $75 CND in like 30 secs on the NET. Not so with VS8F=3 card. They seem to be going up in price.

Lots to chew on. I assume you payed close to full pop if you bought your unit 20 years ago. So, the difference between a 1680 and 2480 might not be as far apart financially.
And you are buying into the familiarity of ROLAND, as well as the advantage, in my mind, of having a tactile board and faders at your fingertips.
Hopefully my wandering babble has helped you head in some direction...either screaming for silence, or calmly sitting down and doing some more web searching for your dream VS 2480. It took me over a year to find mine.and the wait was worth it, as I landed a barely-used latest-edition DVD model out of a church of all places: came complete with 40 kilo (SERIOUSLY!!) 5 ply laminate custom-made case....!!! It was a miracle it was located only one Province away, and I could use bus transport to ship it. Otherwise, the shipping costs would have been stupid. Either that or no case!!
Back to your situation; to your credit, VS-2480s appear like they are getting a bit cheaper as well, so good luck :).
Please feel free to contact me via PM concubinefeeder, if you have any further questions. And no, I won't blab on as long as I write.

#1632967 - 10/18/19 06:02 AM Re: Transition from 1680 to 2480? [Re: ricco]
keeppracticing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Atlanta
It's worth it just to get the external VGA monitor and not stare into that tiny LCD ever again - lol!!!!

Definitely worth going for \:\)

#1634914 - 11/06/19 08:00 PM Re: Transition from 1680 to 2480? [Re: keeppracticing]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic & Guana...
I had the 1680 for a few years, got really good with it.

The 2480 is different in some aspects, but not many, and i find i rarely need the manual.
Compared to a DAW on the PC the 2480 is incredibly intuitive and easy to use.

The VGA screen and the extra VU meter are great additions, very handy. Also, you can use both digital inputs at once i think. Haven't tried that yet.

Double the amount of effects, if i remember well, and the plugin effects are pretty good, the compressors work well, and the Sound Toys plugin has some rather complex effects that can really be quite creative, although they will be hard to use. The TC 3000 reverb is not bad either.

The preamps are supposedly better, and you have flying faders, don't forget. That alone changes everything.

The 1680 was awesome.
The 2480 is Legend.

I'm currently upgrading my 2480CD :
- already swapped the fan for a totally silent Noctua
- Swapped the CDR for a DVDR (Panasonic UJ-860), works great
- Tomorrow i'm swapping the hard drive for an SSD.

The machine will then be totally silent.

54 channels of audio without noise or latency. There aren't many places in the world you can get that.

And you can add the scsi2sd option to add SD cards for easy import to PC. I think it's brilliant.

Edited by RickD (11/06/19 08:00 PM)

- VS-2480CD v2.505 with 2x 'two' cards + 2x 'three' cards + all plug-ins + Meter bridge
- Converted to DVD with a UJ-860 + SSD with a Samsung EVO 860 250GB
- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/29885/products/

#1634939 - 11/06/19 11:34 PM Re: Transition from 1680 to 2480? [Re: RickD]
March Offline
Planeteer

Loc: IA
You can't use both digital inputs at the same time. You can opt EITHER for optical OR for coaxial--but not for both.

Th R-Bus is a different animal, but I have never experimented with it

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159877 Topics
1850929 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.